Beauty Care with Cake!?
Have you ever sat nibbling a delicious frosted cupcake and thought to yourself…
“If only something that TASTES THIS GOOD could actually BE GOOD for me”?
Most of the time the answer to that question is no.
But occasionally, very occasionally it’s yes :D
In partnership with our friends at Cafe Creme Bakery in Bearsden, we’ve put together a few of recipes to make you feel beautiful inside and out using delicious, natural ingredients you often find in cakes and desserts.
Dark Chocolate Face Mask
Dark Chocolate Face Mask Ingredients
- 2 Bars of Dark Chocolate (Should be at least 70% Cocoa)
- 2/3 Cup of Milk
- 1 Teaspoon of Sea Salt
- 3 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar
Dark Chocolate Face Mask Instructions
- Break the chocolate up and place it in a heat-proof bowl
- Simmer a pan of water and place the bowl on top
- Let the chocolate melt gently stirring occasionally
- Stir in the milk, sugar and sea salt
- Allow the mixture to cool then apply it to your face and neck Rinse off after 20 minutes or so
For dry skin add a teaspoon of honey to the mix, this will help keep your skin hydrated and lock in the moisture.
Why is a Dark Chocolate Face Mask good for you?
Cocoa is rich in antioxidants.
A study in the Journal of Nutrition found that flavonoids in dark chocolate absorb UV light, help protect and increase blood flow to the skin and improve skin's hydration and complexion [Source: Journal of Nutrition].
Banana and Honey Hair Mask
Banana and Honey Hair Mask Ingredients
- 1 Medium Banana
- 2 Tablespoons of Honey
- 1/4 Cup Natural Greek Yoghurt
Banana and Honey Hair Mask Instructions
- Pour the honey and greek yoghurt into a bowl
- Peel the banana and mash all the ingredients together with your hands
- Use a hand blender to create a smooth paste
- Gently massage the mixture into your hair
- Use a shower cap or cellophane wrap to hold everything in place
- After 20 minutes or so, rinse your hair thoroughly
Added bonus: This will make your hair smell amazing (provided you like the smell of bananas).
Why is a Banana and Honey Hair Mask good for you?
Honey seals moisture in your hair, keeping it conditioned and reducing breakage. Honey strengthens the hair follicles, minimising hair fall. Its antioxidant properties help prevent damage, keeping your scalp and hair healthy.
Bananas contain lots of potassium, natural oils, carbohydrates and vitamins. These help to soften your hair and enhance it’s elasticity. This in turn prevents split ends and breakage. Bananas can also moisturise your scalp and reduce dandruff.
Coconut Sugar Lip Scrub
Coconut Sugar Lip Scrub Ingredients
- 1 Teaspoon of Caster Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons of Coconut Oil (or honey if your prefer)
Coconut Sugar Lip Scrub Instructions
- Mix the caster sugar with the coconut oil in a small bowl
- Using your fingers, apply the mixture gently to your lips using a circular motion. (Be gentle though, as your lips can be sensitive to abrasion)
Why is Coconut Sugar Lip Scrub good for you?
Sugar is a natural humectant, it holds onto moisture helping to keep your skin hydrated. Sugar is a pure, natural source of Glycolic Acid, also known as an AHA, which helps to break down dead, flaky skin.
If you enjoy eating cake, as well as wearing it, we recommend you visit our friends over at Cafe Creme Bakery in Bearsden for some deliciously more-ish cakes and afternoon teas.
Until next time stay beautiful inside and out, BB.